Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

Carrier Document Checklist

Shown below is a list of items that you need to review to insure that you have everything in place that you need to operate legally.

To get started, the most important fact you need to know in order to know exactly what requirements apply to your situation is what the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is for your equipment. To establish this number, you need to know what the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is for your truck and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of your trailer and then add these two numbers together. If the total is 26,000 pounds or less your driver and truck requirements are significantly different than if this total is over 26,000 pounds. If your CGVWR is less than 10,001 pounds your company requirements are also different.

Once you know what your CGVWR is, you can then determine what the requirements are for your company, your driver(s) and your trucks and shown below is a chart that outlines these requirements.

It should be noted that many hotshot operators register their truck at 26,000 pounds even though the actual CGVWR is over this weight and it normally is not a problem. However, be aware that there is a bit of a risk of being fined and possibly being shut down if you don't have a Class A CDL and you sure don't want to cross a scale weighing more than 26,000 pounds.

Company Requirements

Special State Requirements:

  • Kentucky KYU Highway Use Tax License for Trucks with a CGVWR over 55,000 Pounds
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • New York Highway Use Tax required for vehicles with a CGVWR of 18,000 Pounds or more.

Items Needed in Vehicle:

  • Insurance Card
  • HAZMAT Certificate (only required if hauling as a HAZMAT carrier)
  • Base IFTA License and Decals if required.
  • Apportion Plate Cab Card for the apportioned plate on your truck. (if applicable)
  • IRS 2290 Heavy Highway Use Tax
  • Kentucky KYU Account (GVW over 55,000 only)
  • New York HUT 
  • Oregon Mileage Tax Account and Bond
  • If you get Stopped for Inspection by a Motor Carrier Inspector who has been certified by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA). You will be asked to produce certain documents during the inspection which includes:
    • Your driver’s license
    • Your medical examiner’s certificate
    • Your record of duty status (ELD)
    • Your trip receipts
    • Your shipping/delivery papers or manifest
    • A vehicle registration for each unit
    • Current annual inspections for each unit